Friday, January 16, 2009

Nicknames

I've come up with possibly the most convoluted nickname ever for my child, but being as it's my child in question, said nickname has a perfectly rational basis. Here goes:

  • "Avery," by natural progression of human laziness, becomes monosyllabic "Aves."
  • I mentally spell "Aves" and recognize it as the Latin name for birds (class Aves).
  • Being as this little bird was born in the Netherlands, and being as I actually know the word for "little bird" in Dutch, "Aves" becomes "vogeltje."

So Vogeltje it is, you see.

Dylan thinks that "Monkeybear" is more appropriate since she's a monkey that we dress up as a bear.

We'll see which one wins out.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Do you have an English pronounciation key for vogeltje? Tell Dylan that I do know how to pronounce Monkeybear. Also for Dylan, thank you for reminding me how big Alaska is. I do remember that it became a state on my 10th birthday. A reeeeeealy long time ago.

Amy said...

Foe-kelt-che. That's about the best I can do without a phonetic alphabet on my keyboard...